The first POD book edition of Then, both hardback
and paperback, was finalized on 13 August 2016. The following points
have come to light since then; thanks for all reports. Eagle-eyed
spotters: Sandra Bond, Robert Day, Keith Freeman, Rob Hansen, Mike
Meara, Greg Pickersgill, Ted White, Owen Whiteoak.
- p31: "out-of-towners – Eric Frank Russell and Les
Johnson arrived – from Liverpool" should read "out-of-towners
– Eric Frank Russell and Les Johnson – arrived from
- p84 Operation Fantast 4 caption: "F.J. Robinson?"
should read "Peter J. Ridley". 
- pp85-88: add source note reference  to all indented quotes. *
- p87: "(sometimes known as Chuch Harris" needs closing ")".
- p90: add source note reference  to first indented quote. *
- p119: change last sentence to "MEDCON was
the high water mark of the Medway group's fan activity, though they
would continue to meet until 1960 before fading away."
- p202: add source note reference  at end of opening Jim
Linwood quote continued from p201. * 
- p206, third paragraph on the Delta Amateur Film Group: change "This
appears to have formed some time the previous year." to "It
was formed in 1957, though first contact with national fandom did
not take place until this year."
- p218: "NSSFG Report One" should read "NSFFG Report
- p231, first indented quote: "Keith Matthew" should read
"Keith Matthews". In the next paragraph, "Muir's
house" should read "Nash's house" (relic of a former
mixup between John Muir and John Nash). 
- p234: "Edward Macklin" should read "Edward Mackin".
- p270: add source note reference  to last indented quote. *
- p276, fourth paragraph: change "never actually appeared"
to "never appeared, though Hall eventually used the title Motorway
Dreamer for a 2005 fanzine." 
- p295, second indented quote: in "a dozen active members,
including two members" the last word should read "artists".
- p302, fifth paragraph: delete Roger Zelazny from list of Tynecon
- p339, last paragraph but one: "Though he didnt attend
FAANCON II, Graham Boak sent his fanzine collection
along" should read "Those attending FAANCON II
included Graham Boak, who brought along his fanzine collection".
- p349: "Derby's Matlock district" should read "Matlock,
a town near Derby". 
- p355, end of penultimate paragraph: in "Mike Meara's last
fanzine of the twentieth century.", amend to "last
general-circulation fanzine". 
- p370: re Ted White, "who was then editor of Heavy Metal"
should read "who was by then no longer the editor of Heavy
- p377, fourth paragraph: Instant Future should read Instant
- p402: replace the last sentence of Note 1 as follows: "The
1951 convention (marked by an asterisk) was not a national con but
the First International SF Convention, a proto-Eurocon. The Second
International SF Convention would have been held over Easter 1957
had we failed to secure the 1957 Worldcon." (This is an
expansion rather than a correction.) 
- p411, last line of table: the "Other" figure of 369
should read 409. 
- p422: add to source note  – 'Jim's anecdote of Sizar
being "banned" came from Bruce Burn himself, who in 2016
email still remembers the offending double issue 10/11 (November
1963) as being omitted from the 38th OMPA mailing. However,
surviving copies of the mailing include this Sizar, and the
next OMPA mailing features several responses to its characterisation
of Ella Parker.' 
- p422: add to source note  – A letter from Brian Aldiss
published in Scottishe #26 (December 1961) indicates that
the Oxford SF Group began in autumn or winter 1961: "I was out
during the evening to attend the first general meeting in Christ
Church of the Speculative Fiction Group. All told some twenty six or
seven people turned up to a very successful gathering –
including, I was delighted to see, some seven women – I'm all
for a female element in fandom. The whole thing has been organised
very vigorously by Mark Wigan and Chris Miller." (Research by
- p424: add to source note  after first sentence – "His
[Weston's] online supplement to Stars (http://www.efanzines.com/PW/Stars/)
adds the correction that Jim Young, still at college in 1971, had
nothing to do with the diplomatic bag ploy." 
- p430: photo index entry "Whiteoak, Owen (ow)" –
credit should be "(alc)". 
- p438: index entry "Freeman, Keith" – delete last
page reference, 349. 
- p439: index entry "Hall, Tikwas" should read "Hall,
- p441: index entry Instant Future should read Instant
- p443: index entry "Macklin, Edward" should read "Mackin,
- p444: index entry "Matthew, Keith" should read "Matthews,
- p449: index entry "Scudla, Edwin" should read "Scudla,
- p452: add index entry "UNICON, 378, 388" 
- p453: index entry "White, Ted" – delete page
reference 376 and insert in "White, James". 
- p454: index entry "Zelazny, Roger" – delete. 
* Clarification rather than correction, where multiple indented
quotations were covered by a single source note reference.
 Fixed 31/8/16.  Fixed 13/9/16.  Fixed
4/10/16.  Fixed 29/11/16.